The Fryer Library at the University of Queensland is currently offering 2 Fellowship opportunities that may be of interest to InASA members: The Fryer Library Fellowship and The Rae and George Hammer Memorial Research Visiting Fellowship
The Fryer Library Fellowship aims to:
- Support research into Australian historical and literary studies utilising the collections of the University of Queensland’s Fryer Library.
- Promote The University of Queensland’s Fryer Library as a centre of scholarly activity.
- Integrate a digital component (e.g. online exhibition) that will expand access and encourage engagement with the Fryer collections used in the research project.
Applications are invited in the following areas:
- Australian literature
- Australian theatre
- Indigenous studies
- Queensland architecture
- Art and design
- Australian history and political culture
- Women’s studies
Successful applicants receive $20,000 as well as full UQ Library access and copying services.
It is anticipated that the successful applicant will be based at the St Lucia campus of The University of Queensland for a negotiated period, with a maximum of six months. The appointment is to be taken up during the fellowship year.
The Rae and George Hammer Memorial Research Visiting Fellowship was established by Dr Margaret Hammer in memory of her parents Rae and George Hammer and commemorates two remarkable people with a passion for History and English Literature, who taught in New Zealand schools.
We are proud to offer meritorious students the opportunity to continue the research tradition of the Hammer family at The University of Queensland.
- Up to $2500 to be awarded annually as a single prize or split among winners
- Assistance in accessing the collections by Fryer Library staff
The award is for expenses relating to a research trip to the UQ Fryer Library for your Honours, Masters or PhD including travel, accommodation, living expenses and research related costs.
As a winner of the fellowship, you:
- have 12 months in which to visit the Fryer Library
- will receive the funds once the offer of the fellowship has been accepted in writing and you provide a receipt of booked travel for your visit
and you will be asked to:
- produce a brief written account of your experience during your visit, which we may use for promotional purposes
- submit a report (less than 1000 words) outlining the benefit of the scholarship and providing feedback on your experience to the Manager of the Fryer Library within 3 months of completing your visit
- provide the Manager of the Fryer Library with a digital copy of your completed research project, report or dissertation within a mutually agreed period following your visit
For details about both fellowships, including how to apply, please visit https://web.library.uq.edu.au/about-us/awards-fellowships.