The submission deadline has been extended to Sunday 31 July 2022!
The ANU Australian Studies Institute is delighted to host the International Australian Studies Association (InASA) biennial conference this year at ANU and Old Parliament House, Canberra, during 30 November – 2 December 2022.
The Conference committee is calling for abstracts of 150 words and a short biography of 75 words by 31 July 2022.
The theme of the conference draws its inspiration from the 50 year anniversary of the Whitlam government’s election in 1972 – an event seen by many as not merely a political turning point, but also a social and cultural awakening from a long post-war torpor. Elected on December 2 – a date which coincides with the last day of our 3-day program – Gough Whitlam’s reforming Labor government ended 23 straight years of Coalition rule. Fittingly, conference participants will enjoy a keynote address in the historic House of Representatives chamber at Old Parliament House – one of Australia’s most cherished buildings and the stage for the dramatic conclusion to that tumultuous chapter in Australian history. The conference drinks and dinner will follow the keynote address in the elegant King’s Hall, between the two chambers.
The conference theme can be interpreted as broadly as the field of Australian Studies itself. We therefore welcome papers on topics relating to but not necessarily limited to the following:
- The Arts and Australia’s cultural Identity;
- Australian literature and cinema cultures;
- Politics and International Relations;
- Defence and foreign policy;
- Healthcare and social security;
- The environment and climate;
- Economics and Employment;
- Australian histories;
- Colonial and pre-Federation Australia;
- Gender, sexuality and women’s rights;
- Democracy, human rights and the law;
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and Indigenous Studies;
- Race, immigration and multiculturalism
More details about the conference including the keynote speakers, postgraduate travel bursaries and conference events will be announced shortly. You may also direct any queries to firstname.lastname@example.org